View Single Post

Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
Notre Dame is owned by the French Government. The Archdiocese of Paris is allowed to use it for free. This is why the the president of France, Macron, is the one accepting donations and talking about rebuilding rather than the pope or the archbishop of Paris.
As a result of your informative post, of which I was previously unaware, I did I what I usually do when I learn something new...and did some research to find the truth.

Here's one thing I found.

Who Actually Owns the Notre Dame Cathedral? The Answer May Surprise You | ChurchPOP
Quote:

“Due to France’s laws regarding secularization, the French government owns all churches built before 1905, including Notre-Dame.

“The government lets the Archdiocese of Paris use the building for free, and will continue to do so in perpetuity. The Archdiocese of Paris is responsible for the upkeep of the church, as well as for paying employees.”
Which explains the status of the building itself (owned by France), but I'm still searching...to see who actually owns the priceless artifacts & art that is/was in it.

Which given all of the other Catholic Churches and their assets around the world...could add up to who knows how many $BILLIONS?

So anyway, thank you for help setting me on a path to finding the truth...and thus increasing my personal knowledge.