Thread: Amenity fees
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Absolutely agree with this. Do I 'like' that I'm paying more per month after actually buying our home, than when I first looked at the home? Nope. What really bugs me is that it was a difference of a week. We had locked in our offer in February. We closed a week later, in March. And because of that, we have to pay the higher monthly rate.

[edit: hey my math was wrong! Check out the new numbers, not as bad! Still a lunch or a couple of drinks in a year's time we wouldn't get to enjoy but...]

Sure it's only a couple of bucks, but a couple of bucks, per month, for a year (minimum) and that's almost a lawn service bill for a month. Or just over half a week's grocery bill. Or a couple of movie tickets and hotdogs, that we would otherwise not be able to enjoy.

In other words, it's over $25 less that we have available to spend on anything else, this coming year, at the very minimum. All because of one week.

HOWEVER...
the fact that the total is so reasonable in the first place, means it's affordable. If a $100/year increase was a deal-breaker, we wouldn't have put in the offer in the first place, we would've found a less expensive property in the Villages or in another state.

I'd like to see everyone in the Villages pay the same amenity fee. Not gonna happen, but I'll never understand why it is that we all can enjoy the same amenities and some people get to pay less than we do, just because they bought their home before I did. Their amenities cost the same, whether it's them or us using them.
When you "locked in" the price of your house, it had nothing to do with the amenity fee. Your broker neglected to inform you that all resale have increase amenity fee.