View Single Post

Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
For example, did you change the filter? Is the water shut off valve shut off. Ours is behind the refrigerator. You need to pull the refrigerator out to shut the valve. I assume it is possible to kink the hose. Or to forget to turn the valve back on. Aside-yes I believe I've read it is not necessary to shut the water off to change the filter BUT, why tempt fate? Also, you should vacuum the coils every six months anyway.

Also, the filter, a new one is filled with air not water. Before I change the filter, I take a glass of water and pour it into the filter so that you do not need to wrestle with the system to eliminate the air. If, that is the problem, you can shut off the water, take out the filter, pour water into it and reinstall the filter.

Off brand filters a friend has not a Westinghouse but a Sanyo.
He used an off brand filter and broke what ever that piece is called that the filter mounts to. Sanyo voided the warranty-his bill was far more than any saving on an unknown filter.
If you pull out the refrigerator, it is a good idea to place a hard piece of plexiglass on the floor to protect it. This is especially important if you have a sheet vinyl or wood floor. The tiny plastic wheels on the refrigerator can damage almost any flooring except ceramic tile. Also, I don't think the filter actually filters the ice maker water, but I am not sure.