View Single Post

Old 04-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Default Prejudice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Yeah that's why it threw me for a loop. I knew if I pointed out to him that it was against the law for him to ask the question, I wouldn't get the job. If I answered it "yes I'll need time off on occasion to take care of the grandkids" I wouldn't get the job. If I told him I didn't have grandkids, and it was a guy who felt it was a woman's duty to give birth to fertile, child-bearable progenies, I wouldn't get the job. If he was fishing to find out how old I was and I said "not yet" I might not get the job. No matter how I answered the question, I was risking being out of a job. And the question was illegal to ask, as you said.

That was the moment I decided I didn't want to work there. Who would want to work for someone who is either a) ignorant of the laws preventing him from asking questions like that or b) knowledgeable but willing to break the laws to get the "right" employee?
The word is truly simple. Pre meaning before. Judice meaning judgement. In reality we are all guilty. It is a survival skill.

In your reported tale your prejudice, your assumption that they were prejudice. Made you decide you did not want to work there.
Your prejudgement may have been correct. Life is full of choices.
Other than in science fiction we never HONESTLY what would have happened it we had.

In terms of age discrimination. A shock years ago when I got a senior coffee from a zit faced kid at Mcdonalds without asking.
Who is that OLD ...... looking back at me as I shave?