Thread: Torpedo grass
View Single Post

Old 04-23-2019, 12:20 PM
Default Solution to torpedo grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaz1 View Post
I just moved into my home and have been told I have Torpedo grass. One company is trying to treat it but I have read that the only solution is to kill it repeatedly, dig it up and put in new sod. Anyone have experience with this invasive grass?
There is no shortage of misinformation and people trying to SELL you stuff based on misinformation and/or your lack of knowledge.

The voice of experience. We've been here five years-laughing a bit. Weeds or any plant survives because of either seeds in the soil or seeds dropped in by birds, the guy who mows your lawn etc. That is why no matter what you do you will not wipe it out.

Having said that it is fairly easy to kill. What to use depends on how much you have. You can spot treat it with a products such as Round up-gycophospahte. Seems spell checker does not know how to spell it either. It will also kill your grass or most any other plant you hit with it. Solution is to spot treat only the torpedo also called rocket grass with a paint brush.

Another less commonly available product is dimeththyfime ????
it is available mail order from I think the company is called DO IT YOURSELF. The smallest quantity they sell covers 10,000 sq feet and it costs like $30. A big plus for me is it says DO NOT USE ON ST. AUGUSTINE. Typically in a Zoysia lawn the gardeners will bring in St Augustine. This will kill the St Augustine but not the zoysia.

Any of the above chemicals will take about two weeks to work.
A tool such as a simple dandelion weeder will give you instant results by simply digging it out.