View Single Post

Old 04-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
There are many people who will only buy the brand name or the "real" name of the product, i.e., "Bayer" or as you said, "Walgreen's aspirin" by name. I have a friend who will only buy "Alleve" while I spend a pittance of what Alleve costs for "Naproxen."

I'm not really sure that kind of mindset is a product of advertising, but I'm also not sure that advertising doesn't have something to do with it either.

Why do many hospitals dispense only "Bayer?" It has to go beyond advertising and we -- the public -- are not privy to or aware of the "real" story. Even with some kind of "deal," the price they pay for Bayer still has to be more than what, say, Walgreen's aspirin would cost.
It is interesting that a lot of people think that, if they buy Walgreens aspirin, they are buying a generic product, but, if they buy Bayer aspirin, they are buying a brand name. Not true. Bayer and Walgreens are both brand names and neither company holds a patent on aspirin. Any company can sell aspirin and put their name on it. I suspect that Bayer pays hospitals to use their aspirin as part of their marketing plan.