View Single Post

Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

So you got a bunch of advice from people who have never been a landlord- I will give you a few tips
1. Have a lease, they are easily obtainable online. make sure they have a release of liability clause.
2. Get money as follows- 1/2 with signing of lease, 1/2 plus security deposit 60 days before move in - if this is not OK with them RUN!
3. Rent needs to be all inclusive, except the $125 cleaning fee that comes out of the Security deposit.
4. If you are not local, get a good home watch/Cleaning crew. This is critical. They are your eyes and ears. However, always have renters call you first.
5. Get a good umbrella policy for a few million on yourself, costs like $15 a month. You never know.
6. Never waive the cleaning fee. Sets a bad precedent - and the ones who say they are SO CLEAN never seem to be any better than anyone else- they are just trying to pay less.
7. Make sure you have a recliner, a grill, Cable TV, and a Golf Cart if you want to rent anything other than high season. You can get away without those if you just want Jan-March.
8. Look on VH4R at the type of home you have and look at what people charge- price accordingly.
9. As I said before phone interview all potential renters. You will find out most have rented before. Get a reference and check.
10. Keep house well stocked with Towels and Dishes- like if you lived there - if you do this, they will return each year.
11. Advertise on VH4R and nowhere else - every other site is secondary... really no need.

Hope that helps.
Snow Flake until I retire