View Single Post

Old 04-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Here's my personal testimonial.
In 1983, I was in a car accident. The driver of my moped went down the wrong way on a one-way street without stopping, into a major intersection. The driver, my best friend Jimi, was flipped over the car we hit and suffered from a broken neck, massive internal injuries, and died 3 days later. I was thrown off the bike onto the sidewalk, and crashed onto the left side of my body. I was in CICU for 4 days, and broke my left clavicle, 3 ribs, radius, ulna, and femur. I loosened my front teeth, and had minor lower spinal trauma that wasn't reparable. I had double-surgery to implant a steel rod in my leg and a pair of plates screwed on my forearm bones. I was released from the hospital after 2 weeks with an rx for intensive physical therapy for the next six months. I was told I'd be in a wheelchair, most likely, by the time I was 40 years old. At that time I was only 22.

The doctor suggested that for quicker healing of my arm, I could try this funky box I'd attach to the removable cast. It had a cord that led to a small metallic box that plugged into the wall. I would wear that whenever I was in my house/apartment, for a minimum of 8 hours per day.

They said without this box, I should expect at least 3 months for my bones to mesh, and a minimum of a year before the plates could come out.

I used the box religiously.

My bones were sufficiently meshed 12 weeks later, and 12 months after that I had the plates unscrewed from my arm and the steel rod pulled out of my femur.

Summary: it did absolutely nothing that time, care, and an amazing orthopedic surgeon couldn't do.

Fast forward to today: I'm 57. I'm not wheelchair-bound. I can still turn a cartwheel. I have osteoporosis in my hip and spine, and have had both knees surgically repaired (not replaced). I credit good genes, my surgeon, the physical therapy, and utter rejection of failure for the fact that I can walk unimpeded (most days). I credit the "blue box" with profiting from the health insurance that had to pay for it.