View Single Post

Old 04-24-2019, 03:02 PM
Default We were in the same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgm3279 View Post
I will soon need health insurance, as hubby will be turning 65. I am younger....help! Thanks.
We went through the same thing about 5 years ago. My information may not be current
We used Renata Cockburn with Florida Blue. I found her to be, helpful, clear and patient 352 775-3336
Thoughts
1. If you are currently employed ask about COBRA. You have, or we had 18 months at the far lower rate than we could get with private insurance. You may want to also check with groups, unions etc that you belong to.
2. I expect you will find the COST shocking.
3. Assuming you are healthy you might want to consider a catastrophic policy that will be far less expensive.
4. IMPORTANT-I had considered self insuring-if a bill is necessary you pay it out of ???? savings or???????
THE BIG GOTCHA-fortunately my wife convinced me not to self insure. Our cost for insurance was about 24,000 for two of us
OUCH. In my life, I've been in the hospital about 3x so I was thinking I would accept the gamble. Well I would have lost.
I spent 4 days in the Villages Hospital the bill was 50,000. Or would have been 50,000 if I had self insured it. Aetna paid the bill in FULL for 20,000. That was just the hospital bill. Follow up doctor visits etc I do not even recall the number.