Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 04-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Oh my! I just got a J. Peterman catalog and I can’t stop reading that hilariously over-the-top prose that is their trademark copy.

Remember, that was the guy parodied on Seinfeld. He was Elaine’s boss and he talked just like the catalog copy. Tickled the heck outa me.

I have never bought anything from J. Peterman. But I think I just might do that.

Has anyone here ever bought from J. Peterman?

If so, how is the quality and how are the sizes?

Is a 12 a 12 or is it a 16 or a 10?

(You know how it goes with sizes. Every clothing manufacturer does its thing — and then there is Chico’s — where you have to break their code. For years I was afraid to try anything on in Chico’s, fled the scene quickly, because I thought Chico’s was for sizes 1 and 2 only. I always thought that was a dumb marketing scheme but I guess it works for them.)

As far as quality goes, when I was still working, Coldwater Creek was my go to and then something changed with them and their fabrics and soon the stores went away. I still cannot part with some of my old Coldwater Creek jackets.

Anyway, anybody? Any advice on J. Peterman?
Hey Boomer, I have never heard of J. Peterman's, but I just looked at their catalog and some of their dresses look really interesting. Did you see the 1927 Beaded flapper dress # 2924.

As for Chico's - weird sizing. But, I had a great experience in there ... I was hunting through the racks and this lovely lady came up and said "There is nothing in here that would fit you dear, this is a fat ladies store" She obviously needed her eyes checked, but did I feel good for just a short while.

My go to store is Anne Taylor. I LOVE her stuff, and their sales are incredible. Right now she is unloading last year's dresses for about $30 to $40.

I also like the clothing in Soft Surroundings, under Katie Belles, but you have to be 8ft tall and built like a string bean to wear their styles. I used to really like Talbots, my go to place for business clothes when I was working, but they are quite awful now. My husband calls them Tall Butts ..... He's a prince

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak