Thread: Girl Talk
View Single Post

Old 04-27-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
A question for knitters: Do any dry cleaners in the area block knitted items? I was given a beautiful hand-knitted scarf, but it is not blocked and basically rolls into a long tube. Years ago you could have knits blocked at the cleaner's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
You could block the scarf yourself, CFrance. Soft somewhat cool steam iron and a sheet between the scarf and iron. Let it cool. If it still does not hold the shape then apply a mild starch (water with a bit of flour) or spray starch very lightly. We used this method on very delicate lace doilies which my mother and I used to crochet.
I would not use starch/flour in blocking your scarf particularly if you don't know what the fiber content is. I've always used "Magic Sizing" or a light spray starch when ironing doilies, napkins, etc. if needed (cotton only).

Regarding your scarf . . . wet it or I guess I should say dampen it. Just so it is not soaking wet is okay, but it should be wet. Place it on a towel that is large enough to accommodate the size of your scarf. Shape it. Pull it gently to shape if necessary. If it will not hold the shape you've put it in, pin it or clip it to the towel so when it dries, it will still hold the shape. Use only stainless or plastic pins or clips.

This method should work. Good luck!