View Single Post

Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Restaurant Discussion in TV

I did not know what else to call this thread, so here goes .................... it seems to me that people of retirement age come to TV and see the opportunity to build a money making business, which many do. However, after a year or so when the business is profitable they want to get out and enjoy some retirement years. They sell the business to the next entrepreneur for a considerable sum of money and that person finds they are saddled immediately with debts. People hate change, customers hate change, they have become used to the same servers they have become used to the same owner/manager, they resist change. The new guy comes in and makes changes because he has to cut costs. Before he makes money he has to consider the rent and the percentage that TV takes off the top of his profit. If this new person is not familiar with the food industry etc., they are in for a world of hurt.

But, it can be done properly. Take Bonefish Grill .... great servers, good management, EXCELLENT FOOD, changes to the menu to keep things fresh and new items offered seasonally. I have seen people wait as long as an hour for a table and never stop smiling. They have provided a very chic sitting area outside and they have a great inside lounge area for waiting. The restaurant business done right. Now why the hxxx can't the rest of these would be restaurateurs follow this example.

It takes a lot of money, it takes knowledge of where to buy - but this can be learned, it takes willingness to work till you drop which many of these new owners do not want to do. They think they are buying a "going" business. The biggest case in my mind is what the new owner of Glenview did when he took over. He destroyed a great establishment and he did it almost overnight.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak