View Single Post

Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,741 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhonard View Post
Yes, all these ideas work to a degree but it still takes 1/2 hour to drill a 1/4" hole including a lot of backbreaking force. I was told by an installer today that the carbide drill bits dull quickly if you go to fast and/or once you hit the masonry. That might explain why I have varied success. He suggested using self-tapping screws to drill through the metal and then follow up with masonry bit to complete the hole. Throw away the self-tapping screws and use a new one on each hole. I'm going to give this a try. Also, I failed to mention I am drilling very close to the beam edge so the metal mech may be of higher density.
As someone who does this frequently, you need to make sure you’re using a masonry bit and a hammer drill. Just because a drill bit is “carbide” doesn’t mean it’s a masonry bit. Also, a regular drill (even one equipped with a masonry bit) won’t always do the trick. Not to belabor the point, but I think if you tried a hammer drill and a true masonry bit, you’d see it’s not that difficult.