Forums

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post

Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhonard View Post
Yes, all these ideas work to a degree but it still takes 1/2 hour to drill a 1/4" hole including a lot of backbreaking force. I was told by an installer today that the carbide drill bits dull quickly if you go to fast and/or once you hit the masonry. That might explain why I have varied success. He suggested using self-tapping screws to drill through the metal and then follow up with masonry bit to complete the hole. Throw away the self-tapping screws and use a new one on each hole. I'm going to give this a try. Also, I failed to mention I am drilling very close to the beam edge so the metal mech may be of higher density.
As someone who does this frequently, you need to make sure you’re using a masonry bit and a hammer drill. Just because a drill bit is “carbide” doesn’t mean it’s a masonry bit. Also, a regular drill (even one equipped with a masonry bit) won’t always do the trick. Not to belabor the point, but I think if you tried a hammer drill and a true masonry bit, you’d see it’s not that difficult.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.