View Single Post

Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I think part of the problem is the expansion of the Villages itself. The further out the property line extends, the less likely people are to venture out and try places that aren't closer to home. It means Villagers are, for all intents and purposes, a captive audience. The only way some of them can encourage competition, is to consider competition as being a good 1/2 hour's drive away. That's not competition. When your only competition is the other country club that serves the same menu that you serve, getting the food from the same vendors you get them from, and have the same hiring practices you have, there's no competition at all. It's just more of the same, more "acceptable" food. Nothing to reach out and say "HEY this guy down the block is doing a stellar job - it's time for MY restaurant to step up its game."

They have no incentive to do better, because they know most people will stay close to home. And the Developer gets to decide which restaurants rent in this enormous multi-square-mile area.

I'm guessing there was a lot more variety, and a lot more quality options within a 15-minute drive of a Villages home, back when it only took 10 minutes to get from the center of the Villages to the border of the Villages in any direction. But The Villages now owns all of that property, and the quality and service and variety is subject to the whims of the Developer, who determines the rent that these business owners will have to pay them.
BINGO