View Single Post

Old 05-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Perhaps it is me. I do not get the constant (two threads alluding to "age") carping on young people as if we (I am 80) were the cleanest, smartest, most intelligent people the planet. As if we were ideal in every way in our time.

WE WERE NOT.

Kitchen back in the 50s were much dirtier and no laws of much to protect us, so harping on the young folks is not only unfair but not worthy.

After the second world war, the "greatest generation" and they earned that title, we think we were the very best, but I do not believe that. Did we have those who broke the law, who were not good people or citizens....sure did, but first of all, anything and everything they did was not paraded to the world on twitter or the news or any of the instant gratification sites we have. Thus what the heck did we even know.

A human being is a human being. We are all products of our culture......used to be that LYING was a terrible thing to do...not so much anymore.

We (my generation), in my opinion, are not as wonderful and perfect as we want to believe. We surely did not live with the pressures that this group of young people are exposed to.

Being concerned about passing on disease and germs is admirable but please, do not pass it off as if we were the cleanest, most hygenic generation.

All this age stuff is just an excuse......and it probably was when we were young.....not sure but sure makes sense.

If you want to use age, and I think it is being used terribly on the two threads involved, so be it, but for me.....I think our young people are smarter, more moral than we think (Please no links to young people and crime) We seem to like to demoralize ourselves with statistics.....but dont see much about the college educated or the outstanding young people we have in this country.

To this thread.......kitchens were much worse when we were young.....laws were inferior inspections were spotty at best so patting ourselves on the back quickly is just wrong.

Let's address the accomplishments of the young people....lets not tell them how wonderful that we were at their age....they are smarter than us and know better

Good post and nope...it's not just you.

There are a lot of very positive things about the younger generation(s)...that should be applauded.

The American Future is NOT bleak (poke here)
Quote:

Researchers find that both conscious and unconscious bias regarding race and sexual orientation declined significantly between 2007 and 2016.

For racial attitudes, this change was largely generational, whereas the more relaxed attitudes toward sexuality were found in the population as a whole.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 05-04-2019 at 04:40 PM.