View Single Post

Old 05-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Some folks lost a lot of money and a few won a lot of money. Unless there are assigned lanes (as in swimming), for me, racing is racing and not sure, with that amount of horses, in a pack, in slop, "infractions" could be avoided. I wonder if they reviewed every horse through out the race to see if infractions occurred farther back.....oh wait, sorry, the money runs out after the top three so who would care
What I read cited a rule about horses staying in their lanes and the particular circumstances regarding infractions of that. It was the first race in KD history where the winner was disqualified for a foul. The other DQ was when a horse failed a drug test in 1984 and was disqualified as the winner a few days after the race.

It must have been a noticeable foul, since objections are rarely upheld. The judges said it's very difficult to determine fouls in a sloppy wet racetrack, especially on the last dash to the finish, but all three agreed unanimously.

A trainer who was in the stands with his daughter spotted it immediately and surmised there would be objections.

Fascinating to read. I got my information from articles on The Guardian online news, if anyone wants to catch it.

I'm sure you're right about the money part.