View Single Post

Old 05-08-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
With all due respect to the other posters, the biggest cause of mold is MOISTURE! That's why it's key to keep humidity below 60% here in Florida. Our garages don't get mold because they are concrete block with no drywall. Inside we have drywall which is a food source for mold when combined with high humidity levels. You can certainly keep your home humidity below 50% if you are willing to keep your home at 70 to 72 degrees F all summer long. Personally, I don't like wearing sweaters inside in the summer. All I can say after 21 years of living in Hawai'i and Florida is that I've never had a mold problem, a ceiling fan burn up, or high electric bills by keeping my fans on low and temp set at 81 when away. FYI, when home, we set at 77. In both cases my humidity level never goes above 55-57. My best advice? Get a wi-fi thermostat so you can monitor what's happening when you are away. Adjust accordingly based on YOUR experience.
My garage, and many other garages do have drywall. I have never had any problem with mold or mildew in the garage.