View Single Post

Old 05-09-2019, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
Barcelona - Sagrada Familia (purchase tickets online prior to going or go with a group tour); Park Guell; Take the Hop-on, Hop-off bus to access a variety of wonderful features of Barcelona). Since we had been to Barcelona before, we found a Paella class (hands-on) which was a lot of fun.

Athens - The Acropolis, but make sure you take great walking shoes as you climb up old stone steps and can be crowded. (Also went to Mykonos but found that underwhelming).

Rick Steves is a great resource, and also look at posts on Trip Advisor for additional suggestions. We booked a private tour for the Amalfi Coast that was spectacular as well as other smaller tours found through Viator (sometimes ship tours are very crowded). Great experiences on all tours booked through Viator (Turkey).
This para about Athens is super important. The major sites are miles away from each other and you will walk and walk and then walk some more, and it is HOT. Also be prepared for many of the sites not having hand rails up the hundreds of steps you will have to walk. I was intimidated by the lack of hand rails. My other half said OSHA would have a ball there!

Quote from Travel Book: A major point of interest for any traveler to Athens is the Syntagma Square. The most famous aspect of Syntagma is the changing of the guards by the Evzones in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The Hellenic Parliament Building is located here as well as various buses, trolleys and tram stops. A fountain, ancient statues and two large grassy areas offer the picture perfect place for photos and picnics. Most major events that occur in Greece have been celebrated at the Syntagma Square. It’s also the site of various political functions, and it was also at this square that the Military Junta government was overthrown in 1974. Besides the Hellenic Parliament building, other interests include the historic hotels Grande Bretagne and George II. This is a MUST SEE. I have seen changing of the guard in many cities, but this is one you have to see.

You might like to view this site 22 Top Tourist Attractions in Athens (with Photos & Map) - Touropia, some great photos and good explanations, but too many ads for which I am sorry!!!

Barcelona ..... Wonderful city, just walk around and check out the incredible architecture. Take a tourist bus too. So much to see.

I would suggest you hire a tour guide for both cities, or maybe find a small tour group.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak