View Single Post

Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
We are looking at buying a House in the villages. I haven’t cooked with electric in the last 35 years. I remember it seemed like it took forever for the burner to heat up, and then when I wanted to lower it, the heat wouldn’t go down fast enough. Are the new electric stove tops significantly improved? I see fast boil settings, do those work? If you moved from has to electric, what were the pluses and minuses. Any advice on the features I should insist on in an electric stove top?
Background-I like to cook but hate to clean up so I,"let," my wife clean up. Perhaps the reaso I am not allowed to cook very often.

I grew up in a home with the old open coil electric stove had only low medium and high-late 1960's. When we bought our previous home we had a gas stove. Now our villages home does not have gas so we have the glass top electric stove and a double oven.

Given a choice, I vastly prefer our previous gas stove. While our current electric stove is not the old low medium and high type, it is continuously steplessly variable. You cannot see the gas flame to judge the heat and they way it gets less than full heat is to cycle on and off. Even with good heavy pots, it tends to burn your food. You can, I have, learned to deal with it. I would still vote for gas cooking, if we had the option.