View Single Post

Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
You have to choose between convenience and cost. You can save a lot of money, but, you will have to "work" at using a "cut-the-cord" device. By that I mean you to be willing to learn a new way of watching TV and movies. Sometimes you get a "circle" on the screen. That means your show is "buffering" (I.E. waiting for more of the data to load), that can be very annoying. Your show may not show up on your device for a day, a week, or even a month (if ever). "Live" shows, may not be available, local channels may not be available. Sometimes it's worth it to just have basic service.

I compare "cutting the cord" to learning to swim. You don't jump into the deep end without knowing how to swim. You start in the shallow end and work your way up until you feel comfortable. I often tell people to get a device (I prefer the Fire Stick) and keep their cable service until they feel comfortable with just the device.

I also tell people to buy their own Modem/Router (they save about $15/month and and get a return on they investment as little as 1 year).

I use a site called "Troypoint.com" to program the Fire Stick.

So I have Comcast for internet only and pay $70/mo.

I hope this helps.
Would that be a speed of 60 Mbps? If yes, does it buffer a lot?