View Single Post

Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This is illogical. If it's a two-lane circle with arms coming and exiting off in all 4 directions, then the only way you can get from the inside lane to any of the arms is to cross into the outside lane.

That means - quite literally - changing lanes. Even if it's for just a split second, you are, by definition, changing lanes the moment you move from your inner lane onto one of the exit arms.

Going south to north on an inside lane. You're going just fine. But then someone who is coming in from the east, and heading west, on the OUTside lane..which he has the right to do - will be already in his own lane when you are trying to cross that lane onto the northern exit.

Regardless of "who has the right of way" this makes for awkward driving. In addition, it requires that the person on the inside lane - change lanes - in order to get out of the circle.

If you didn't change lanes you would just continue around the circle and never leave it. You're also crossing the outside lane while in the process of entering the circle, to get into the inside lane.
The Yield sign means yield TO BOTH LANES in the roundabout. So nobody should be entering from the side of you while you're already in the roundabout. That takes care of the problem of somebody entering (illegally, because you were there first) and going halfway around on the outside while you're trying to (legally) go three-fourths' of the way around on the inside. (Although people don't adhere to this yield protocol, so you still have to have eyes peeled all around your head.)

Do not enter the roundabout until whoever is already in it has passed your entry point.

What "they" (whoever "they" is) should do is change the Yield signs to read Yield to Both Lanes.

If I can get to 466, 466A, and/or 301 to get where I'm going, I can avoid most roundabouts. I've seen many a fender bender at the St. James/Buena Vista roundabout. I do acknowledge that 466 & 466A have their own set of problems. Oh well. Drive safely; be alert We need more Lerts.