View Single Post

Old 05-23-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
They grow what people buy. Strawberries, people buy large pretty looking berries. An old variety, you may be able to buy plants was
GUARDIAN. The berries are far smaller and kind of misshapen but they are far better tasting then what is currently offered for sale.

As to,"soil," most of the villages is sandy clay with a high PH.
You can either wish you had better or improve what you have.
Yes, yes, yes. You WANT, you DEMAND strawberries all year round. Strawberries grow for one short period and then they are done until they grow and ripen again. You want to dip your strawberries in chocolate, do you have any idea what would happen to a good tasting juicy berry that is dipped in hot chocolate, it would disintegrate in no time flat, so these solid big ol' strawberries are perfect to dip in chocolate. My grandson sent me a box last Christmas, they were in the refrigerator for about two weeks and still the strawberries did not break down, all they did was sweat inside the strawberry coating.

We ALL want fruit year round and, therefore, it has to be imported into our area, and all areas, from the growers. It is picked unripe and ripened by gassing it.

So, seems to me all people missing great tasting fruit should only buy that fruit when it is in season. Right now Athena melons are in the stores, they are absolutely delicious, they are also over ripe. I opened one today that is already starting to become juice all on its own! It will not last more than a couple of days. How about bananas, I only buy two bananas at a time because by the second day they are over ripe. I love plums, nectarines and peaches, but if you buy in the store they are like rocks and probably will not ripen, but will become woody and mushy, yuk. The only fruit I really rely on are cherries, grapes and apples. The cherries are delicious, grapes are great and apples are crispy and reliable and all three are very expensive.

I happen to really like strawberries and I buy them year round, ,but I don't eat them as strawberries, I smash them down and mix them into my yogurt.

It is what it is, we are either going to buy what is in the store or we are going to go without!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak