View Single Post

Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
If you see a problem dog, look at the owner, you have now found the problem.
Yes! And look at yourself before you adopt/buy a dog of certain breed. Or any breed, for that matter.

Are you good at training (i.e., are you energetic enough to be consistent and repetitive)? Are you willing to take the time to exercise a high-energy dog? Are you willing to socialize a puppy from the earliest age possible? Are you willing to acclimate the puppy to your being away for short periods during the day so it doesn't develop separation anxiety? (This takes thoughtful repetition.) Will you pick up after it, keep it off of other people's property? Will you spend a gazillion dollars keeping it healthy?

There are a lot of things to consider. I LOVE cats. LOVE them. We've had seven in 50 years. We've had three dogs. The dogs aren't nearly as independent as the cats were. One of these days, when I'm decrepit, I will have another cat. Maybe six. I will have litter boxes galore and plenty of food. And as long as I can walk, I will always have a dog. But not if I can't put out the effort.

As we speak, my dog has just snatched/ate the kleenex off of my end table. He is the consummate kleenex thief. I'll be picking it up... well, never mind. Sorry.

Pets make me so happy.