View Single Post

Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Pit bulls, Dobies, Rotties can be very aggressive if bred that way. If bred for fighting or guarding, you start with the most aggressive pups in the kennel and go from there. The problem isn’t always the owner — sometimes it’s the breeder who was breeding fighting dogs or guard dogs and then allows one of their dogs to be mated with a show dog. The aggressive traits are then brought into that line of show dogs and, thus, into the pet line.

That being said, I’d trust any of those breeds over a Cocker, a Saluki or a Chihuahua. These are all dogs known to turn on their families. Most of the Pit bull, etc. incidents stem from someone having taught the dogs to be aggressive, getting loose and attacking someone on the sidewalk or street. Tragic and preventable.
I'd be interested to know how many breeders out there are breeding for fight dogs. My guess is that they are under the wire. If you go to a breeder looking for a certain breed as a pet, I wonder if you would run across a breeder breeding for fight.
The problem would be, possibly, taking one of these breeds from a rescue.

I hope to adopt not shop next time. I hope to be able to discern when looking at rescues. But I do believe in supporting responsible breeders in order to keep the different breed lines going. I've done that twice and adopted twice. I've had better luck with the specifically bred dogs, whose breeders I've vetted, but I hope to do better next time with a rescue.