View Single Post

Old 05-28-2019, 05:43 PM

I initially had the same reservations most people have about pit bulls, then I met met a wonderful, sweet mama pit who was able to change my mind. A few years later, while working as a Physician Assistant, I had to see a woman whose 16 month old nephew was mauled and killed by a pair of pit bulls. Understandably, she was a basket case. Unfortunately, the pendulum swung back the other way for me. These were previously known to be well behaved dogs, the owner did not latch their kennel gate tightly and something in the movements of the toddler incited these dogs to attack. She did not have enough control/authority over the dogs once the prey process started. One must always remember that a dog is just that-a dog. Their behavior can be unpredictable, especially if startled or injured. Many dogs may bite in these instances, but certain breeds have much more powerful jaws and the bite instinct doesn't seem to shut off until the prey is dead. This behavior is demonstrated in only a handful of breeds. So if there is a dog around my grandchildren, I understand there is always a chance of a bite. But with certain dogs, when a primitive instinct is ignited, if they have the ability to maim or kill, I can't condone having one.