Thread: Guns in Schools
View Single Post

Old 05-29-2019, 12:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Teachers are there to teach and not to guard the school. Anybody who thinks this will solve violence in the school is just “barking up the wrong tree.” IMHO. In short, I think it’s a bad idea to put that type of responsibility on the teacher even if they volunteer for the task. Best that money be spent on other things like mental health, counseling and professional trained police.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Steve, spend more money on more school counselors and professional law officers as opposed to arming the teachers who are hired to teach and hopefully be role models for the students. I see all kinds of problems and issues. Where is a teacher going to keep his weapon and ammunition locked up safely somewhere in the classroom? It’s going to take time to get the weapon. Is this going to be a hand gun vs. an assault weapon or is the teacher also going to have the same type of weapon? Better background checks? That ship sailed . Perhaps ban semi automatic assault weapons for sale and what is the chance of that happening? The majority of Americans are in favor of banning certain Weapons for sale but the majority has lost that fight. The “bad guys” are likely to have one anyway or maybe even a bomb or two. Can you imagine a scenario when children are accidental injured or killed by friendly fire from a teacher. No, let teachers do the job that they were hired and trained for and trained Officers do the job they were hired to do. My hats off for both teachers and law officers.