Thread: Guns in Schools
View Single Post

Old 05-29-2019, 06:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Steve, spend more money on more school counselors and professional law officers as opposed to arming the teachers who are hired to teach and hopefully be role models for the students. I see all kinds of problems and issues. Where is a teacher going to keep his weapon and ammunition locked up safely somewhere in the classroom? It’s going to take time to get the weapon. Is this going to be a hand gun vs. an assault weapon or is the teacher also going to have the same type of weapon? Better background checks? That ship sailed . Perhaps ban semi automatic assault weapons for sale and what is the chance of that happening? The majority of Americans are in favor of banning certain Weapons for sale but the majority has lost that fight. The “bad guys” are likely to have one anyway or maybe even a bomb or two. Can you imagine a scenario when children are accidental injured or killed by friendly fire from a teacher. No, let teachers do the job that they were hired and trained for and trained Officers do the job they were hired to do. My hats off for both teachers and law officers.
I'll break this down piece by piece.
More money for counseling? I agree.
More law officers? I agree.
As for where would teachers keep the weapon and ammo? Concealed on their person and easily accessible. The students would never know who or where. I carry on a daily basis, concealed and easily accessible, no one knows.
A hand gun vs. an "assault weapon" (which is a misnomer, it's actually a modern sporting rifle). Better something than nothing.
I personally do not believe the stats on "the majority" of Americans wanting to ban certain firearms. Where does the "banning" stop?
Please tell me a viable option if there is an active shooter in the classroom, where there are no "professional law enforcement around.

I'm going to skip out on this conversation for now. I've made my feelings well known here and I would just be beating a dead horse.
I do value everyone's opinion. You will not be able to satisfy everyone's feelings when it comes to the safety in the schools.
Steve