Thread: A close second?
View Single Post

Old 06-03-2019, 10:05 PM

I did 2-3 years of research visiting communities down the east coast, crossing over to the west coast and up. The Villages was my last stop on our last venture. This was about 5-6 years ago. Was just looking and if found something, we needed to rent till we make the move permanently when we retire. Still have 2-3 years to go! Most of the communities were boring and didn't excite me and didn't have much rental potential. This is also because friends of ours bought an incredible house in a community in Clermont and we stayed there for a week one time, and there was the one typical, but beautiful new clubhouse. BORING!!! I even asked my friend what club she goes to and she named one that met 4 times a year! There wasn't mush else that interested her. Solivita I really liked (before I saw the Villages) because it had somewhat of a little townish area.But, once outside the gates, you wouldn't want to venture after sunset! Other places down south, were very nice, but pretty empty in the summer, and boy was it hot down there in the summer. Not great if you want a full time community. Another place I liked was on top of the World, but a lot of the activities and classes they show in the brochure you have to pay for! Sun city in Tampa was a big community, but the center for most of the activities felt like I was back in high school and old looking. Of course there is the newer area, but you have to drive through the old section that isn't aesthetically nice looking. The Villages of Citrus Hills was also lovely, but again, small and not exciting to me. We came to the Villages for a two day visit, stayed in the hotel in Spanish Springs. Let me add that we also wanted a place that we wouldn't have trouble renting for several years. The Villages real estate person, Gail Evans, assured us that it would rent in no time. After thinking about it over night, we decided to take the leap. I fell in love with the community as soon as I hit the town square that evening. Well, not only did our place rent, I had it rented before I even closed on the property. And this was all done with us living back home in NY. Two years after that , we wound up purchasing another place for investment purposes. Had a renter before I even bought the place. This also was all done from NY. I have been coming and visiting TV 2-3 times a year which I rent from someone off season for the last 5 years b/c my places are rented long term. I am now in the process of finding my perfect retirement home for when we come down full time in 2-3 years and of course if we find our perfect home sooner than later, I will be renting that as well! I can't stop talking about the Villages to people, and I encourage them to check it out. To me, it doesn't feel like a retirement community. It fells like you are in a big large community where you see young people all the time. I have clubs that I go to every time I'm down there and even made acquaintances at these clubs. Can't wait to make it full time and make my acquaintances full time friends!.