View Single Post

Old 06-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default "Age Associated Financial Vulnerability" - The Scamming of Seniors

We have all heard about the never-ending scams that target seniors.

We all think that it could not possibly happen to us.

Or perhaps we know someone it has happened to and we could not believe it happened because the person seemed so together and competent.

Science is starting to look at the brain and finding differences in those who fall victim to scams, even though there are no obvious signs of approaching dementia. In fact, many of those who are scammed are highly intelligent people who have had very successful careers.

The article says that people over 50 hold 83% of the wealth, with those in their 70s and 80s having the highest median net worth. Prime targets. Seniors are losing billions of that wealth to scams.

If this is a topic that has mystified you with disbelief or if you just want to know what science is saying now and if you have the time, you might want to hear or read what is being said in the link below. (It is a bit lengthy, but something to think about.)

Meanwhile, please do not answer your phone if you do not know who is calling. Or if you do answer and the pitch starts in, hang up.

The latest scam I have heard about is to make the victim think their Social Security is going to be cut off because their number has been used in a crime, like money-laundering or some such thing. There is another scam that tries to get the new Medicare number by offering to sell medical supplies at a deal.

Scammers are quite adept in keeping their victim's brain in a fevered pitch by tapping into paranoia and fear, once they get hold. Sometimes people are sent to buy thousands of dollars in gift cards to give the numbers to the scammers. It would seem that would send up a big red flag, but it often works.

On and on it goes. Scams will never stop. Also, once someone has been scammed, they are targeted repeatedly.

Anyway, I just thought I would pass this information along, in case it might help or interest some of us seniors, or those responsible for aging parents or friends. This is from Marketplace on NPR.

Here is the link:

Does aging make us more susceptible to financial scams? - Marketplace