View Single Post

Old 06-04-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Thank you for posting this thread, Boomer. Two days ago I received the Social Security scam call on my cell phone VM. Weird, because I rarely use that line. Anyway, the jargon was a little off. "This is the Department of Social Security. We are suspending your Social Security number..." It was a robocall as the message started in the middle of the spiel, then repeated from the beginning. Anyway it was well done enough to fool someone so I reported it with the phone number used even though it might be fake. The Tennessee accent matched the Tennessee area code.

A few years ago an extremely successful businessman friend of mine was taken in by a call that his grandson had been in a car accident, was hospitalized and needed money. He sent the caller a few thousand dollars. They must have been very convincing because this man is sharp!
I had someone call me last year, saying "is that you? It's me, Bobby! I need help!" At first I thought hey maybe it's someone so upset they misdialed whoever they were really needing to talk to. So I asked who it was...

"grandma, you don't recognize my voice?"

He got a few (as in two) choice words from me, ending in the word "off."

I have no children, therefore - no grandchildren.