View Single Post

Old 06-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I am a former Assisted Living Administrator. While I appreciate people have great reviews of different Assisted Living places, you need to go check them out yourself, and you need to decide what defines "best" for you or your loved one. Do you click with the administrator, are they accessible and have an open door policy? What is the staff turnover? Have you eaten a few meals there at different times and asked about menu flexibility and any time dining? How often does the bus take people to appointments, shopping, outings? How many hours of nursing a day? What are the different prices on apartments and is there a move in fee (negotiate always on move in fee)? Read the reviews by ACHA on inspections and complaints. Talk to other residents and family members. What are the levels of care, how much do they increase, how often are increases, and what is included in basic rate? Until what stage of need can I or my loved one stay there? Do they take Medicaid when the money runs out? Look at the weekly activity schedules over a few months, they can provide them as they are required to keep them on file for a period of time. Do ALL these things before you make a decision.
Thank you very much...for the great 'inside' advice.

I am sending this to my children, who occasionally mention when feeling mischievous that..."don't forget, we're going to be selecting your assisted living residence."