Thread: Slow play
View Single Post

Old 06-16-2019, 11:49 AM
Platinum member
Default Something Else

I remember when I first started playing golf. I had been going to tournaments, etc., or just riding along with my husband. When I told him that I wanted to play, he told me to go get some clubs and lessons. I did. When he saw that I was going to stick with it, he bought me some good clubs. He didn't teach me how to play, but he did teach me how I should play. We would go out in the afternoons, and I would keep up with him by picking up my ball and moving it to where his was and play from there. I didn't take 5 or 6 practice shots, take another club, and more practice. I would take maybe one practice swing (still do) and hit the ball. The first time I was invited to play with him and his buddies, I was not sure I wanted to. We got along great! I had told him at one point that I knew I would never be a really, really good golfer; I just wanted to play well enough that nobody would mind playing with me. He assured me that they wouldn't because I didn't piddle around; I just hit and moved on. My philosophy is that I am either going to hit it or miss it and practice swinging forever wasn't going to change that. Actually, I putted better than him, but couldn't chip. I used to hit lots of chip shots with my 'Texas wedge' from pretty far off the green. As for getting out of traps, one or two tries and then it's the ole hand wedgie (toss it out). Being a beginner is no excuse for holding everyone up. Everyone was a beginner at some point. Nobody here is playing for a Green Jacket. Unless you are in a tournament, just do whatever it takes to keep up and enjoy your game. There is no shame in picking up. I loved tournaments, but played 100% by the rules then. No hand wedgies, etc.

My pet peeves here are not playing ready golf, not picking up when you are totally out of the hole anyway, moseying back to the cart and putting on the club head cover and placing it in the bag, then moving away, not getting out of the cart without finishing whatever conversation you are having first, and not getting off the course when you're done to visit while adding up scores. I find that I play better golf when the pace is comfortable, not slow or rushed. Not that hard to do.

We were told by our club pro:
Your place on the golf course is right behind the group in front of you; not right in front of the group behind you.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."