View Single Post

Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
What an amazing putt to finish the Open! If I could putt like Woodland, I would die happy. ;-)

We sat on the side of the fairway relatively close to the 18th green. Couldn’t *buy*a seat in the bleachers. If one were claustrophobic, you would run screaming. Just packed, of course.

A few notes about this.
1) I still like Mickelson, and am not a good enough golfer to judge whether someone makes bad decisions. I enjoy watching professionals, and hope to glean some good techniques from watching.
2) This was our fourth US Open, and every one I’ve been to have been consistently well-run, with everything you could think you need has been provided. The pre-Open info on the website was useful, and included the style purse you could or couldn’t carry, no lawn chairs with arms, among other things.
3) The parking area was based on the California State University-Monterey Bay. Acres and acres of parking, with a plethora of porta potties available prior to the 30 minute bus ride to Gate 1 at Pebble Beach. The buses were ready to go. No waiting; there were buses lined up with volunteers counting people. When that max number was reached, they transitioned the line to the next bus waiting. Just amazing.
4) I would guess thousands of volunteers helped make the event successful, including middle school children from Carmel Middle School.
5) We met amazingly nice people from all over the country interested in one thing: good golf.
6) I don’t know if there is an official attendance count, but one number I heard was 42,000.

We’re flying home tomorrow (Monday). We regret we didn’t extend our stay to drive up the coast and do some tourist stuff, but maybe next time.
Appreciate the first-hand observations.

It was an exciting tournament without eve being there in person.

After hearing about some of Woodland and his wife's personal challenges and that he is so well liked by other tour players...it's definitely a 'feel-good' win.

Have a safe trip home.