View Single Post

Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,155 Times in 2,250 Posts

I saw an article recently that there is some legislation is process to (I think) deregulate the state. If this goes through, and IF Florida state puts a premium or solar/wind/renewal energy sources solar make make a lot more sense. I have looked at the cost and savings, and after considering all of the factors including the LOST investment income I find the payback to be too long, and if maintenance is included, for example removal and reinstall when replacing the roof, inverter failures, etc., then I am not sure there is a payback, under the CURRENT rate structure.
I am very "FOR" solar, I spent most of my career working on national standards for connecting these types of sources to the electric grid, but it needs to make financial sense for me to participate with the installation on my house. I came from PA where the state deregulated decades ago, and solar made a lots of sense, but at the time the houses that I owned were not well suited for a roof top solar installation, and too many trees for a ground based system.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.