View Single Post

Old 06-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
You bet! We traveled there from NH and often stood in a line, outside, in frigid and windy weather to have Regina's pizza. It was worth the shivering!
There was a place on the way to Regina, same side of the road, might've been called Frankie's or Franco's? Had kickass cannolis and robust espressos with lemon twists.

Had a friend who lived in the North End when we were in college together there. I asked her didn't she feel unsafe, living alone in the North End. She explained it was the safest place for a young unmarried woman to live. "Da Family" (the REAL ONE) kept "their own" safe. If you lived there and didn't make trouble for them, you were safe. Period.

Fine pizza too, Regina's was just the most famous but definitely not the only one on the street.

I've been to all the places IN the Villages that sells pizza and every single one of them is a joke compared to the New York/Boston/New Haven style.

The sauces are lackluster and some are actually sugary - they're not pizza sauce at all, I don't know what they are. Maybe Ragu, or some other equally nasty jarred crap. The thin crusts aren't really thin crusts, they're just thinner than the usual crusts, and not cooked properly. The thicker-crusted styles are gummy. They don't use fresh mozzarella, they use the prepackaged crap that turns to mush when heated. One place actually used a combination of shredded American cheese, Mozarella, and mild Cheddar. It was disgusting. They use oregano from huge plastic jars that probably came from Costco/Sam's/BJ's that was harvested 4 years ago and has been sitting in a jar ever since. I don't think any of them would know fresh basil if they fell into a garden of it.

I haven't been to a pizzeria near the Villages that wasn't actually in the Villages yet, but we'll be checking out a couple of the suggestions here soon.