View Single Post

Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can someone please explain why I should send money to the heavily advertised children’s hospitals like Shriners and St. Jude? As far as I know, all major hospitals accept tax deductible donations and they have a children’s ward, where most of them provide excellent care for sick children. There is also Medicaid that provides millions of taxpayer dollars to treat sick children who cannot afford good health insurance. And, it is illegal to not have health insurance, if you can afford it. These TV ads provide no specific information to differentiate themselves from other facilities. Is it just hype to make money, or do they really provide something different?
Flabbergasted by this post.. let's take the adult / geriatric side first.. I'm sure if you had brain cancer, you would never think of going to MD Anderson.. or if you had a serious heart problem you;d never consider Cleveland Clinic.. or need a life saving liver transplant, you;d never go to Pittsburgh. or consider Mayo in Rochester for a complex diagnosis.. You;d just stay in the local Villages Hospital, because afterall, all hospitals must be the same, and have the same quality of doctors, right ? And all hospitals do the same quality of research, and invent life saving procedures and drug protocols . right ?

Most people in the Villages are of an age where they remember the Lebanese comedian Danny Thomas (yea, Marlo's dad).. He;s the one that founded and funded St Jude's in Memphis. They are, without question, the leading children's cancer research hospital in the country, if not the world. Why did he name the hospital St Jude's ? Because in the Catholic faith, St Jude was the patron saint of lost causes and hopeless cases.

St jude's shares the results of their research with Children's hospitals throughout the country.

Do they heavily market ? Yep.. Is it money well spent and contributed ?? Sure is, in my book.