View Single Post

Old 07-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can someone please explain why I should send money to the heavily advertised children’s hospitals like Shriners and St. Jude? As far as I know, all major hospitals accept tax deductible donations and they have a children’s ward, where most of them provide excellent care for sick children. There is also Medicaid that provides millions of taxpayer dollars to treat sick children who cannot afford good health insurance. And, it is illegal to not have health insurance, if you can afford it. These TV ads provide no specific information to differentiate themselves from other facilities. Is it just hype to make money, or do they really provide something different?
Why not check out the websites of these hospitals, and do some google searches for more information? Also there is a website called Charity Navigator Charity Navigator - Your Guide To Intelligent Giving | Home where you can check out thousands of charitable organizations and non-profits.

Also it is not "illegal" to not have health insurance, whether you can afford it or not. Medicaid does not provide any money to sick children based on the *quality* of their health insurance. If they qualify to have mediocre health insurance, and have only mediocre health insurance, then they are not eligible for Medicaid at all.

You can learn all of these things on the internet. I would never take an advertisement for ANYTHING at face value, and certainly not matters of life or death, or financial investment.