View Single Post

Old 07-04-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts
Default Hepatitis A Ocala case Facts

A recently closed thread about a case of Hepatitis A in an Ocala restaurant worker left hanging the question of whether as claimed by a poster that there had been 20 new cases of Hep A caused by exposure to this worker. It then sadly devolved into a "discussion" of whether undocumented immigrants are the cause of epidemics.

To answer the claim that this particular restaurant worker whose name and immigration status are completely unknown to the public has acted as a disease vector I emailed the Florida Dept of Health asking about the status of their investigation. You know getting FACTS. My bold and font change

Here is the reply

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding Hepatitis A in a Marion County food service facility. The inquiry was forwarded to me for a response. There was a food worker at a Zaxby’s in Ocala diagnosed with Hepatitis A in early June. Subsequent to an epidemiology and environmental investigation a patron notification was issued so persons who dined at the facility during the infectious period would have the opportunity to access the vaccine to prevent additional illnesses. There have been no Hepatitis A cases of illness linked to the Zaxby’s subsequent or prior to this single case in the person who was a food worker while infectious.

Regards,

Dean

Dean Bodager, RS, CFOI, MPA
Regional Environmental Epidemiologist
Bureau of Epidemiology
Division of Disease Control and Health Protection
Florida Department of Health