View Single Post

Old 07-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Another point of view......access to the squares was not denied to anyone and was still free. What happened, as I see it, those that pay for the entertainment (the merchants) came up with a plan to add another level of enjoyment. I remember some years ago some of the activities included tables around the squares so you could get something to eat and sit at one of the tables. Then, people didn't leave and sat there to watch the activities and those that wanted to sit and eat couldn't. As expected, the solution was no more tables. I stated earlier, I don't believe the VIP area had any impact on access to the square. You could still get chairs and still take your own chair. A little hard to actually judge the impact because of the rain but those that designed this VIP offer are those that pay for the entertainment. Happy hour was still open, the bars were still open, the restaurants were still open, the stores maintained their usual hours. The street around the square was closed for the muscle cars, food trucks and the tents. And, as you know, the food trucks are usually around the squares for other activities.

Berks County Pennsylvania