View Single Post

Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,334 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can someone please explain why I should send money to the heavily advertised children’s hospitals like Shriners and St. Jude? As far as I know, all major hospitals accept tax deductible donations and they have a children’s ward, where most of them provide excellent care for sick children. There is also Medicaid that provides millions of taxpayer dollars to treat sick children who cannot afford good health insurance. And, it is illegal to not have health insurance, if you can afford it. These TV ads provide no specific information to differentiate themselves from other facilities. Is it just hype to make money, or do they really provide something different?
We all donate to the charities where we have a comfort level and you should do the same. It's easy to sit at at keyboard and search sites for information without deep diving on the sites credibility .....that is your prerogative. After all, it is on the internet so must be true. I have visited St Judes, talked to survivors families and looked at their success rate since founded. I will continue to support St. Judes as my primary cancer treatment center for kids charity. To answer your question, yeah, the really do provide something different and yeah, while not hype they do need to raise money so they must talk about what they do. No different than any other charity, it is the way they survive.

Berks County Pennsylvania