View Single Post

Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My experience might be a little different than others'. When I go to bed, I prop my Kindle on my night stand, turn on my side, and read myself to sleep. Been doing this for years. Because I am nearsighted, reading close up without glasses is the best way for me to read anything. I had tried bifocal contact lenses, but they really didn't work for me very well in church, restaurants, and other lower-light reading situations.

When it came time for cataract surgery years later, my doctor wanted to correct my distance vision. She explained, however, that I would have to wear reading glasses. I said no because I wouldn't be able to read in bed on my side if I had to wear glasses. She cheated and corrected a tiny bit of the distance (I think because that was a stock lens). She said I would adjust, but now I have a slight problem, although not much.

My point is to think hard about your life style habits before making a decision. The people I knew who got the bifocal cataract replacement lens were not happy with them. They still had to wear reading glasses in low-light situations. That would have destroyed my nighttime habits.

I wear bifocal glasses now but have to take them off to read in most situations. (For instance, to type on this laptop, which is in my lap.) When I go to replace these glasses, I am going to ask for distance on the top plus no correction at all on the bottom. I have gone to different doctors and had multiple bifocal prescriptions, but the best way for me to read is with no prescription. It lets the most amount of light into my eyes.

This is just my experience. I'm sure others will have different results.