View Single Post

Old 07-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
They sure ain't in same condition as courses like Streamsong but they're better now than just a few weeks ago. I agree with you about the bunkers, and the routing as well. Most of the layouts were not designed with walkers or seniors in mind.
I disagree, the courses were definitely developed with seniors in mind. Let's look at some supporting reasons. Seniors generally don't walk golf courses, so they are not designed for walking. The courses are shorter than up North, and they have many more tee options for players of various ages and talent levels. The landing areas are very generous, not tight fairways. Missing the fairways is not a big deal, no deep rough. Bunkers are rarely in front of the green, but rather on the sides or behind, allowing bump and runs and taking away the need to hit high shots or put backspin on the ball to hold the greens. There are very few uneven lies to stress out sore senior joints. There are very few forced carries, and on holes where there are, there are tee options available that eliminate or minimize risk. Nowhere else have I seen the "friendly tee box" option in the Villages. Most hazards and water are more for show and rarely come into play. They are very lenient about where golfers can drive their carts. Golfers don't even have to replace divots, just simply pour some sand into the digit. And ambassadors frequently stop by to be sure you have plenty of sand and cold water. I could go on, but I think I made my point. Very senior friendly. And every time I play up North vs. in the Villages (always from the white tees), my scorecard proves that the Villages courses are senior friendly.

As far as the sand traps in the Villages, I would say the following. There are lots of them, but the traps generally are only in areas where a golfer would have to hit a pretty bad shot to wind up in one. And besides the fact that many golfers don't bother to rake the traps, the sand itself is generally very good and consistent. Many traps up north are like hitting out of a gravel quarry, not a sand trap. We play friendly golf, so if your ball goes into a trap and winds up in an unraked area, you are allowed to rake and place. However, if you get a fried egg, you must play it.