Thread: AT&T service
View Single Post

Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage

When referring to a "booster", if you mean the ATT Microcell (a box that connects to your router and creates a small cell zone in your house and routes the calls through the internet), I believe those are no longer being provided.

Contemporary phones can use WiFi calling whereby your phone connects to your router (via WiFi) and your call is routed through the internet. I suspect the sunsetting of the Microcell boxes is due to the support of WiFi calling on recent cellphones, which makes the Microcell box unnecessary for many customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A few years ago I worked to settle some AT&T issues on the South end of the Villages. I met with the VP of AT&T Florida and he showed me on his lap top the areas covered and those not covered in the Village and outskirts. I did learn that it cost approximately $1M to get a tower when considering getting Gov approvals, land, actual tower, etc. It is possible that if The Villages builds faster than AT&T can catch up that there will be a void in service for awhile. A suggestion is to go to an AT&T store and ask for a "booster" if you are having problems. In some cases in the past they significantly reduced the price for one or even gave one out. The other option is full payment for one and that is not fair? I am pretty sure AT&T is aware of the areas in the villages that does not have coverage or the coverage is poor! I believe that if they sold you on AT&T phones you have a right to the best service that is available , (e.g. boosters) at no charge.