View Single Post

Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I don't know your definition of "senior." Perhaps you are more spry than most. Consider Palmer-Cherry Hill. Try walking that one. Arnie would have needed a ladder to climb out of some of those deep bunkers and skates to get around the meandering track. Try walking walking Mangrove with partners that are riding. They'll be finished by the time you get to hole 8 walking from 7. Try walking Escambia. Then again, don't try. It's like the designer forgot a 9th hole was needed and stuck it a quarter mile away from the 8th. My gripe was in regard to the routing of many (not all) courses. From the standpoint of playing the courses, tee to green, yes they are suitable for most seniors. Getting from hole to hole for walkers, however, is a different issue, especially in a community that promotes active fitness for seniors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I totally agree with your Palmer comments. The design of Palmer Legends is really choppy, and would be very difficult for a walker. Apparently they designed the housing developments before the golf courses, and had to fit them in. It's the worst championship course in The Villages.
Let's not forget the primary purpose for the land that the courses sit on - storm water control. The design for this had to come first, and it had to be right. So yes, the courses were basically fit in. Also, this is not a community designed around a top quality golf course. There are communities like that. Or courses are good when the condition is good. That's what they are.