View Single Post

Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
The first day of my visit I was tooling down a ramp leading into a tunnel that had a 90 degree turn at the bottom and I had to lock up the brakes to make the turn.
Same. We did a Lifestyle tour a few weeks ago. I was surprised at the 90 degree turns at the bottom of ramps. Add in rain-slick pavement and you have a recipe for disaster.
I'd also be interested in statistics breaking out accidents IN the tunnels vs at the entrances/exits.

And I find the proposed solution odd: First, we'll do this cheap thing. If people still get hurt/killed we'll do this slightly more expensive thing. If people are still biting it we'll spend some more money.
How about 1) Studying the problem well enough to know whether lighting IN the tunnels is the problem, and 2) Doing the thing that will improve safety the most.

My uninformed and uneducated guess is that the problem will be shown to be excessive speed when entering & exiting the tunnels, causing people to crash at either end. And the speed may be contributed to by poor visibility so people can't tell they need to slow down to negotiate with other carts coming the other way.