Thread: Well RATS!
View Single Post

Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
You sound like you have not had roof rats, palm rats in your attic. I have.

The species is Rattus rattus rattus or simply Rattus rattus it is technically a black rat. It eats fruits and seeds. Yes, they can live in trees. No those Latin names are not a joke, that is the species. No, I not making some blanket statement about where they can live or what they eat. See the link that is on the bottom of this post

I did not have them in FL but a neighboring state. They climbed a two story home to nest in the attic. I trapped them and poisoned them. The food source was bird feed. I removed the traps, I can give you 100% confirmation that these were rats and the only way they could access my home was via the roof.

No more bird feed and no more rats.

If you have any questions for someone that has actual experience and not just an opinion ask away.
Black rat - Wikipedia
Black rats should not be confused an Brown rats, i.e. Common rat. Brown rats (Norway rats) do not like living in trees, Brown rats prefer to live by humans. So yes you can easily have palm rats (black rats) and restaurant rats (Brown rats) in the same area.

You can Google the Latin name for Brown rats. There is such a species and no color of the rate is not the main source of identification, where they live is.

Black rats, the climbers, can live in the same location as Brown rats