View Single Post

Old 07-24-2019, 03:46 PM

We are in the Fenney area and I have had enough experience with carts to know I won't be taking anything but a gas cart across the bridges and tunnels to get "up north" and have confidence in getting back. The day after we bought our new home last year, I bought a like new, used Yamaha gas cart for just about half of what a similarly equipped new one would have cost. I can see us getting a second cart at some point, and I would consider electric for that and just use it for local golf and local activities. By local, I mean anything reachable that is south of 44 (Brownwood to Rohan). Including our current one, I've owned 2 gas carts and 2 electric carts. Both electrics were 48v Club Cars and there is no question they are quieter and smoother. However, both had brand new batteries at some point of ownership ($800+ per cart) and I made sure to take good care of them, always keeping them on the charger when not in use and making sure the batteries were properly filled with water and keeping the cables cleaned. Still, batteries diminish with age and use and there will always come a day when you were able to go from point A to B and back yesterday and today you couldn't quite make it. So, do you just start limiting your trips to shorter distances or plunk down another $800 for a set of batteries? Not saying electric isn't right for many - it clearly is. But, for me, I like the peace of mind that, short of a mechanical failure, a gas cart is only limited by the distance to the next gas station.