Forums

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,296 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Are you looking a gift horse in the mouth? Your comments sound a bit critical. Perhaps you should be in charge so only good decisions should be made.
I am being critical. It's called critical thinking. I do that.

I'm critical of anything that advertises the re-enactment of invading forces displacing and murdering residents, especially if the re-enactment is comprised primarily of people who are politically bent to vote against invading forces displacing and murdering residents

I'm also questioning the fiscal wisdom of gifting a large sum of money to a fundraising campaign that is not likely to raise the amount of money being granted. It'd be wiser, I think, to just grant that money directly to the fund.

Example: I can donate $60,000 to fund a huge carnival with vendors and clowns and facepainting for kids, that will cost $100,000 total, and ultimately bring $20,000 to help underprivileged kids go to college.

OR

I can donate $60,000 directly to underprivileged kids, cut out the middle-man completely, and not cost a single cent, let alone the $100,000 the carnival would have cost.

If I want to help the underprivileged kids, I know where my money will go. It'll go to the kids. Not to a carnival that will only bring in $20k after all the expenses are covered.

I'll add that I have no criticism of the $1000 to the Bike heart challenge, or the $20k for the tourism website and associated expenses, or the horse-pulling contest (though I think $50k is a bit much). Those are things that will definitely help attract people from all over the state and even from other states.

I just don't think $60,000 makes much sense to fund a basketball tournament, that is supposed to benefit a scholarship fund. I think a few thousand for the tournament, and the rest as a direct donation on behalf of the tourism department to the scholarship fund would be better use of that money.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 07-25-2019 at 07:00 PM.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.