View Single Post

Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
When I Golfed in N.J. it was strictly Electric. I considered One when we got here. The only way I would have Electric is if we ever get an Atomic Cart.

We hear about the great things about Electric Carts but Nobody mentions those same People having a Tear in Their Eye when Its Battery Replacement Time! I can't take buying AA or AAA Batteries for the remotes, for a Golf Cart it would be Whambulance Time. Get a Gas Cart and cut out all the Monkey Business!
I certainly can't intelligently discuss price trade offs - yet - but the little reading I have done suggests the difference in total cost of ownership between gas and electric is narrowing, at least if you keep it for more than a couple years.

The new Lithium batteries have an expected life of 8 years instead of 4 like the lead acid, and I expect in 8 years there will be something much better to replace them. So, basically, no replacement costs for the batteries at this point (unless one blows up and/or catches fire)

At the moment I am more concerned with things like noise. I am hard of hearing and hate my hearing aides, so talking with my wife is a challenge in a noisy car, I can imagine what it will be like in an open air ICE golf.

Being a "techie" I do also like the idea of supporting the advancement of electric. We plan eventually to put solar arrays on the roof and replacing Ms. kitty (our Jaguar) with a Tesla. So, an electric cart would fit right in there and e could charge both.

No matter what someone suggested we rent each a week or two when we move in and see what we like and don't like.

This thread is more about the issue (advantage?) of going 20 miles per hour and spending hours a day enjoying the ride vs using those hours to do activities we are interested in and where is the right balance of hurry up and wait vs. sitting back and enjoying the ride